- Job Reference: KXS14851
- Date Posted: 5 February 2018
- Location: Middlesbrough, Yorkshire
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Engineering (Mechanical/Electrical)
- Job Type: Permanent
- Work Hours: Full Time
- Contact: Kevin Stokes
- Email: Kevin.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01642 718915
MSS People are working with an established engineering client based in Teesside who are seeking a Working Foreman to join their team.
Purpose of Role:
Working Foreman is responsible for the supervision of the yard labour, this is including and not limited to, Yard, Maintenance and Stores when required. Therefore, you are responsible for the safety, welfare and production of the staff that are working for you. On daily basis you will report to your line manager - the Yard Supervisor.
Health, Safety, Environment and Quality (HSEQ):
• The working foreman is fully responsible for familiarising themselves with the site HSEQ documentation, systems and procedures relevant to their area(s) of responsibility and for ensuring that they are understood and applied to everyone within their respective area/s of responsibility.
o Shall ensure that only safe working practices are applied by persons within their area(s) of responsibility, with care for the environment and due consideration for quality requirements.
o Shall ensure, so far as is reasonable practicable, that all persons who come within their area(s) of responsibility receive adequate information, instruction or supervision necessary for them to prevent or avoid risks to their health and safety.
o Shall ensure that a high standard of housekeeping is maintained at all times throughout their area(s) of control.
o Shall ensure that work equipment, premises and protective clothing and equipment provided within their area(s) of control are used as required and maintained in an efficient state and in good working order and repair.
o Carry out HSEQ inspections as required.
o Be involved in any HSEQ investigations to establish root cause and implement corrective, preventive actions.
o Shall ensure that HSEQ problems which cannot be resolved immediately are raised quickly with their Line Manager.
• Ensure that good start/stop discipline is maintained within the entire workforce and motivate them to achieve maximum productivity.
• Ensure that all new recruits receive a Health and Safety induction, that they are issued with Personal Protective Clothing as appropriate and that they are made aware of company policy regarding working conditions and discipline.
• Provide general management of the steel, stores, fuel and oil facilities within the yard, issuing Instructions to the production department, prioritising other matters relating to production.
• Liaise closely with Supervisors / Managers to review and adjust labour loading and production levels, monitor discipline and enforce company policy with regard to Quality, Health and Safety and Security.
• Liaise closely with the Maintenance Team to ensure that plant and machinery including temporary supplies, are available and in good working order as required to achieve production and project objectives.
• Prepare daily timesheets in conjunction with the Supervisors and pass this information to accounts. This includes ensuring that time is booked accurately too individual job codes.
• Give tool box' talks to the workforce on matters relating to Health & Safety, Quality, technical matters, timekeeping, general discipline and other topics as may be decided by the yard Management.
• Organise and control overtime and shift working as necessary to meet production targets. This must also be within budget constraints.
• Provide technical advice to the workforce seeking assistance from Technical Services, Ship Managers and others as required.
• Be expected to familiarise yourself with the company’s Integrated Management System Policy and to work in accord with its requirements.
• Cover shifts and undertake any reasonable request as requested by your line manager to your full ability at all times.
• Incident reporting to be verbal and written and followed up correctly.
• Ensure that shift handover sheets / e-mails are completed and transferred to relevant person
• Ensure all areas within the yard are kept to a satisfactory standard.
• Ensure Health, Safety environmental and quality is embedded within the culture.
• To become commercially aware of the project requirements, cost and timescales
• Work with the production team
• Oversee the man management of the labour including allocated employees and agency workers
• Represent the company in a professional manner to customer’s clients and contractors.
• Behave in a professionally, competently and ensuring compliance with legislation and company policy
To be considered for the role you must:
• Have supervisory experience of project and teams.
• Have an understanding of engineering preferably ship yard and/ or fabrication
• IOSH Managing Safely qualified
• Trade trained as applicable in the aspect of production / operation being supervised